Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Familiar Conversation

Says he, "What is this one for again?". Says me, "Really?" Says he, "OK, but what is it going to be used for?" Says me, "For being a quilt and using up scraps and practicing quilting." Says he, "OK, well, the blocks are so busy that the strips in between need to be very dark and solid so that the whole thing doesn't look like somebody threw up. Maybe burgundy or dark green or even black."
Although I was leaning toward white, I decided against it for the sashing simply because some of the letters hung off of the edge of the blocks and I was afraid they would blend too much. I looked for a subdued dark solid color but I don't really have such a thing in my stash. Well, maybe I do, but not enough of any one to make a whole quilt. Remembering how much I liked the I Spy with green sashing strips, I pulled this green out and looked for a dark purple to go with it. I couldn't find a dark purple I liked, but this hot pink caught my eye. OK, so it isn't dark or subtle, and it does look a little like somebody threw up, but hey, it's my quilt, it can look like quilt vomit if I want it to.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Vomit? It doesn't look like that to me and I bet it doesn't smell! I love word quilts...someday i'll make one.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love it! Tell MR. that he doesn't understand quilters!
"What is it going to be used for"???
He really said that???!?
Tell him it's being used for your creative enjoyment and that's all he needs to know!
DId I say I love it?!?

Amanda said...

I think it looks terrific, really colourful and fun. Husbands sometimes try too hard to say the right and helpful thing and miss the point completely.

Cindy said...

I love scrappy quilts. Yours is such fun.

Brenda said...

I like how the white letters float above the crumb background. and maybe you need to wander into Mr. So Scrappy's sacred space (his garage? his man cave?) and wonder what his stuff is all about!