Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tumblers in Large and Small

 One way to deal with scraps is to choose a shape and start collecting lots of them.  I used to collect shapes for charm quilts, but it was too hard to keep track of which fabrics I had or had not used.  These one block quilts are of the non charming variety, but I like them just as well.
I have been cutting old shirts into 6.5 inch tumbler blocks for a while now.  Old shirts make the softest and most cuddly of quilts. 
I just got the small tumbler die and started cutting smaller scraps into these 3.5 inch blocks.  Smaller blocks are so much cuter, but it will take lots more of them to make an entire quilt.  Maybe these blocks would like to be a place mat or a bag of some sort. 

5 comments:

Jane said...

I love the look of tumbler blocks

Scrappy quilter said...

I love the looks. I have to agree, old shirts make the softest quilts.

Melinda said...

Oh great, now you are motivating me to dig out the two big bins of old shirts. No new projects, no new projects.

Finn said...

So many of the older quilt patterns, especially one block quilts, have such charm. The tumber is no exception. Love it in the blues in whatever size you make them.
I did one "back in the day", meaning with cardboard template and a pencil, LOL, and it was totally scrappy and just as charming. I've done a couple of minis, using a 1.5" tumbler and that was also fun. It's wonderful to see someone in the 'young crowd' using an old time pattern. You rock! Hugs, Finn

Elly D said...

I love the look of the Tumbler block. DH doesn't wear many proper shirts so I don't have many to work from. But I have saved one that doesn't fit him. A lovely barely worn flannel red check. May need to go to the charity shops ;))
Here's a link to a small tumbler I made :- http://www.flickr.com/photos/biscuitnrabbi/5404402980/ It's in blue with a fish in the middle made using the shapes. Thank you for your visit to my blog. I had great fun making your little mug rug. Thank you. Ellyx