Saturday, August 3, 2013

Crumbs and Orphans

At this rate I will never need to buy fabric again.  I think I could sew indefinitely with the leftovers of other projects.
 First up were some red crumb blocks.  These were put together using a coin quilt concept.  I also have a stack of HST bits that are almost ready to turn into blocks.  There always seem to be plenty of triangle shaped bits from putting binding strips together.  These all got squared up to 6.5 inches which seems to be a nice size to save for later.  Then the trimmings from all of that will go back into the start of more crumb blocks and the cycle will start again.
Then I put binding on some orphan block potholders.  I'll save the hand stitching for slow stitch Sunday with Kathy tomorrow.  I'd love to make a few more of these, but I ran out of the special batting that goes in the middle.  I wonder if regular batting would work?
Right now absolutely everyone is out of the house.  Kurt has gone to shop for a new laptop for the kids during tax free shopping days.  They got my old laptop when I switched over to the Mac, but it seems to be getting more and more temperamental lately.  One of these days it will just stop working for good.  Anna and Sydney are both playing with friends and Ryan is at a birthday party.   It's just the dog and I right now hangin' out on the couch.  It is almost too quiet.........

12 comments:

Barb said...

Wow...you are sure making good use of those blocks....wonderful pot holders

Deb A said...

Hehe... it is never too quiet! I am watching NCIS while hand sewing in a very quiet house. I love it! Pretty bits of red you have to play with. Just in case..... Joann's is having a 20% off entire purchase sale this weekend for their 70th anniversary. In case you need more special batting.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love making fabric out of scraps. I'm not a good piecer, so why fight it and why not have fun!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love making fabric out of scraps. I'm not a good piecer, so why fight it and why not have fun!

Julierose said...

Nice red blocks--love that scrappy look. I have yet to pull out my reds....still trying to feel better...hugs, Julierose

deb g said...

I use regular batting, and so far have never had a problem. I love to give potholders as gifts.

sunny said...

What pretty crumb blocks. I'm much too lazy to make something like that, but they certainly do have appeal!

Mary Marcotte said...

Just finished a top using crumbs and strings. I used up all of .my reds, so how is it that there are some in the scrap basket? Your pot holders look great!

Teresa in Music City said...

Love your crumb blocks!!! Isn't it crazy the way the box never seems to get any emptier?

Sooli said...

Great use of orphan blocks as pot holders. I would use double thickness of normal batting, that should be enough. You could always make one that way and test drive it to be sure!

Sheila said...

Great crumb blocks. Difficult to believe that it's time for school to start! Where did the summer go.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I'm right there with you... between strings, charm squares and 2.5" strips I could make many a quilt top! I've started saving little bits to try some crumbs too - why not.