Sunday, June 22, 2014

RSC Sampler - Fiesta Pinwheel

I saw this block on Mari's Blog and thought it would be just too adorable in a 6 inch size. I'm not sure how big her original blocks were, but I'm sure this one is quite a bit smaller.
I chose 4 different yellows, though you could use fewer if you like.
From a light yellow background fabric cut 4 -  2.5 inch squares and 4 - 1.5 inch squares.
You will also need one 2.5 inch square of darker yellow.
Next cut 4 rectangles that are 2.5 by 1.5 inches using another yellow.
Finally cut 4 1.5 squares of a different yellow.
Start with the 1.5 inch squares.  Sew one background square to each darker yellow square.  Press to the dark.
Next sew those twosies to your rectangles.  Press toward the rectangle.
Now you should have 9 squares that are each 2.5 inches.  The dark yellow forms the middle while the pieced units should rotate around  with the darker squares touching the center.  Sew together as you would for any nine patch.
There you go!  The placement of the dark rectangles give it a bit of a pinwheel twirl.  I think the color shows up best in this last shot.  Getting enough contrast with yellow is just not easy!

3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I really like this block!

Sheila said...

This block is cute! A happy butterfly and now a fun pinwheel.
I sooo enjoy your Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Angela. It's fun when you interact/play with us when we playfully attempt to coach out your color plan for the next month ... a few weeks early. The colorful sampler 6.5" block tutorials are fun, too. Your blog is an excellent source of information and inspiration. Please know I appreciate all you do.

Melinda said...

I agree with Sheila. I hope you know how fun the RSC is. I'm loving getting projects done every month (although it is killing my pledge to finish more UFOs but this is more fun). I do wish you posted the colors ahead of time. Some months are so much harder than others to get projects done and I'd always rather be ahead than behind. Pleeeease?