Monday, March 9, 2015

RSC15 March - Monkey Wrench

There are lots of variations on the Monkey Wrench block, which is just another variation of the Shoofly.
This one has slightly modified measurements to make it work nicely in a 6 inch size.    
The corner units are HSTs cut from 3 inch strips.  Place strips of dark yellow and background together and use the easy angle ruler to cut 4 units.
From the same dark yellow, also cut a single 1.5 inch square.
From light yellow cut 4 - 1.5 by 2 inch rectangles.
From background fabric, cut 4 - 1.5 inch squares.


Sew the HST units along the hypotenuse.  Then sew a background square to one end of each light yellow rectangle.  
After the subunits are pieced, it is just another nine patch.  Press away from the triangles and toward the center of the block.  I find that this helps my points come together better.  Your block should be 6.5 inches so far.
Finally, add the star points to your block, using the tutorial posted here.  

7 comments:

Kate said...

Another fun block!

Delighted Hands said...

Oh, so pretty and like most blocks, when you break them down they're not so complicated! Beautiful!

Jennie said...

I love this block in yellow - I really wish I had time to join in at the moment but enjoying watching!

KaHolly said...

So cheery!

Sara said...

This is one of the cutest so far! I look forward to each one.

Deb A said...

I've had a lot of yellow time this week. I hope to make this cutie this week too.

Dasha said...

Loving your sampler blocks! This one is great too.