Sunday, October 8, 2017

Sunday Scrappy Explosion

I'm still digging up old projects and blocks to turn into finished flimsies.   These framed four patches were almost ready.  Just a couple of hours ironing and trimming and they are ready to come together.  It is amazing how many random block collections I have abandoned over the years.  Getting them finished up feels very virtuous.  Hopefully I'll be able to start something new soon instead of continuing to finish off old projects.  That will be fun!
I've been playing with the idea of using Inklingo for my next hand piecing project.  I think I downloaded it once before, but never followed through.  I printed out a few test pages and figured out how to combine background and main color swatches onto one page.  That is when the printer stopped working.  The cable went out a couple of weeks ago and the wifi routers have been acting strangely since then.  It is supposed to be working again now, so I will try to print out a few test blocks this afternoon.  Does anyone else have experience with hand piecing?  Any tips or suggesions would be very much appreciated. 
I'm linking up with Oh Scrap! and with Slow Stitching Sunday today.  

13 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are doing such a great job finishing up your UFOs. Please send some inspiration this way!

Deb A said...

I think Linda has a good tutorial on the inklingo site on how to hand piece. I tend to just back stitch at the beginning and end of each start/stop. Pat Sloan also has a good tutorial. Good luck. (I really need to get back to mine... but I do have some all printed out still ready to stitch).

Charlotta said...

What’s the size of your four-patches? Just curious. It looks great!

June D said...

Very nice!

gayle said...

I'm always interested in seeing four-patch projects! Your framed blocks look great!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have used Inklingo a lot over the years but the past two years my printer didn't want to cooperate with fabric very well and I quit trying. Yes use a back stitch several times at beginning and end and I always did a back stitch in the middle of the seam too just to make sure it was strong - I think I have a tutorial on the side bar of my blog under tutorials - I have several for Inklingo there and Inklingo site has some too

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray! for random sized 4-Patch blocks and finishing up UFOs!!!

Ellen said...

Your quilt is going to look great when it is finished. Not all quilts have to have complicated blocks!

I haven't used Inklingo but when I hand piece blocks such as my seven sisters I draw my stitching line onto the fabric using a template and then cut the shapes out using a 'sort of 1/4'' seam allowance. I backstitch at the beginning, middle and end of each line of stitching.

Katie Z. said...

Look at you go!

Louise said...

That's going to be a bright, cheerful quilt! Hm, you've given me an idea for my own orphan blocks...

Karen S said...

Great to see that you are catching up and finishing abandoned quilts. This is a lovely one. Good luck.
Cheers, Karen
http://sunburntquilts.com.au/

Kate said...

A simple, but fun quilt. You've done really well on moving your UFOs to completed.

Lori said...

For my English paper piecing I use old x-ray film. I punch a hole in the center so I can use a straight pin to hold the fabric. When you complete a section and can remove the center pieces of film, just take a crochet hook, knitting needle in the hole to pop them out. They are indestructible--I made a king size Grandmother's Flower Garden with 70 hexie templates. So much easier than paper, I drew my lines with a fine point sharpie and cut with an old rotary blade. Easy peasy!