Sunday, December 31, 2017

Odds and Ends

I try to keep handwork ready to go in case a long car trip is planned.  We ended up going out of town on Christmas day and with the hectic holiday schedule I hadn't taken any time to get ready.  Fortunately, there were some handy WIP bags with various bits and pieces that could use some work.
 Kurt's father decided that he was going to have a gathering to mark the first anniversary of his mother's death last Christmas.  It was mostly local friends, but his brother's family and ours both came in from out of town as well.  Since we were doing a long driving trip to the great wintery wonderland on North Carolina, we combined the trip with a couple of days skiing and tubing with the kids.  Everyone loved the tubing.  Sydney is our little daredevil, and she thought skiing was just about the best thing ever.  So between the various bits of visiting we had a solid 28 hours of time in the car.
 I counted out these baskets which have been ongoing for far too long.  Just 4 more will give me enough for a nice on point setting.
 This Dear Jane border triangle was partially complete via English Paper Piecing.  I haven't quite mastered the technique, but I'll keep trying.  I think it will look better after pressing and trimming.
These Christmas blocks took up most of our time in the car though.  All the pieces were cut long ago, so I worked on prepping them for applique and arranging them into blocks.  It would be fabulous to get this one done before next Christmas.  

 It is lovely to be back at home again now, and I am busy taking stock for the new year.  I have 6 quilts in the almost completed stage, each with a handy note explaining what needs to be done next.  I think there might be one or two more waiting for binding.  After that I will go and check out the bins of blocks in progress.
My first priority for the day though will be to finish up plans for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2018.  Mari and I have worked together to plan a lovely sampler quilt, I'll have a full post on that tomorrow for the first day of the new year.  I'll also make a button for those who would like to share it on their own blogs and make a tab at the top specific to this year's challenge.  It sounds like rather more typing than sewing, but hopefully it will set me up for a productive year of scrappy Saturdays.
For today, I'm linking up with Slow Stitching Sunday as well as Oh Scrap!.  It is always so much fun to take some time on Sunday to enjoy inspiration and progress from other quilters around blogland.  Take a few minutes to enjoy a few posts before you get busy with the rest of your day.  

15 comments:

Suzanne said...

All you WIP are lovely. Here's to a New Year of creating!

Lynda said...

you're way too organized for me - I guess I like to find "surpirses" when I go on the hunt

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on assessing your projects! Best of luck with the finishing. I'm looking forward to RSC18. I feel certain that you and Mari have cooked up something WONDERFUL!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Christmas applique blocks are so pretty - have fun stitching on them if you get a chance today! I'm excited to join in with the quilt along you and Mari are planning. Happy New Year, Angela!

Meloney said...

I keep trying to make a tab and can't get it to post to my blog. :( I wish I were more computer savvy.
Love what you are doing. I have a bag for hand stuff in the car. It sure helps pass the time.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love to sew in the car. Nice to have projects ready to travel!

Deb A said...

Only 6 quilts? Wow! So handy to have hand work prepped for when you suddenly need to travel. Enjoy the last bit before school starts again.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Happy New Year Angela! My resolution was to not join in on any QALs this year. Sounds like I will be breaking it as soon as you and Mari release your sampler plans :)

Thanks for hosting the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I love that it helps me to focus on my scraps all year long! I am already looking forward to January's color announcement. I hope it is blue or purple (hee hee)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Love those gorgeous Christmas blocks! :) Happy New Year to you and yours.

LOL I am working on some DARK little baskets since I didn't do any for Nov-Dec RSC. Nothing like being a little behind.

Karen S said...

Smart move to have projects ready to go. Love both the blocks you have worked on.

Created by Kathi said...

glad you had a safe trip and productive road trip time too! I love all the projects you worked on ... Happy 2018 Angela!!! Kathi

Angie in SoCal said...

You're a great example of how much can get done when one is organized. Love all your projects.

Kate said...

I really like those Christmas blocks. Congrats on being able to grab and go so you can stitch on the road.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness... 28 hours in the car?!?!? I could never stand it!
Love those baskets... maybe I should start a basket project??!! LOL

Sandy Panagos said...

That's so smart, keeping handwork in kits ready to go. I need to start doing that since Hubby is talking about retiring! LOVE the poinsettia blocks!